How many times have you started a diet, a new way of thinking, or tried something new and then a setback occurs and you just go back to the way you were?
Don’t worry, you are not the only one! Setbacks and difficulties occur all of the time – they are a natural activity of life.
There are two ways of facing difficulties. You either change or alter the difficulty or you can alter yourself to be able to deal with it. Deal with difficulties correctly and it will enhance your confidence, deal with them incorrectly and they can do some serious damage to your self worth.
Get the most out of responses to issues and difficulties!
When you are faced with any setback your ability to deal with it can be turned around into a position of strength by asking yourself positive empowering questions.
There is an unwritten rule that says, “Ask your mind a stupid question and you will get a stupid answer!” So, if after setback you ask yourself something like “Why does this always happen to me, I never have any luck?” Your mind will probably come out with, “Because you are useless and good things do not happen to you!” Sound familiar?
Instead, if you ask yourself a positive empowering question like “What did I learn from this setback for next time?”, your mind will kick into solution mode and help.
Here are some rules and things to think about when setbacks do occur:
- Acknowledge that it has happened. Don’t hide from it. These things happen. So what?
- What positive empowering questions can you ask yourself?
- What is good about this situation?
- How can I make the most of this situation?
- What can I learn from it?
- What are the facts about this problem?
- How can we make it a successful outcome?
- Acknowledge that setbacks occur to everyone and you are not being singled out.
- View them as a challenge to overcome rather than an issue or problem
Think about the negative dis-empowering thoughts that you think on a regular basis after a setback. What new empowering questions could you ask yourself to give some better answers? Write these down now and make them a habit.